How to enable steam guard mobile authenticator
Everybody wants to keep their account safe. In this article we`ll help you with your security.
Steam Guard can help secure your Steam account, but the basic email-based code provisioning system isn’t as secure as it could be. If someone has managed to steal your Steam login information, there’s every chance that they could have also compromised your email.
What is Steam Guard?
Steam Guard is a two-factor authentication feature of Steam that provides an additional level of security above and beyond your username and password. With this feature enabled, Steam Guard will ask you for a one-time code every time you try to log into Steam on a new device.
While Steam Guard may seem like an unnecessary inconvenience, it exists to keep your account safe. Since you’re the only one with access to the temporary codes generated by Steam Guard, nobody can steal your account. Even if they manage to obtain your password, they won’t be able to log in.
There are two different versions of Steam Guard. The basic version sends you a code via email each time you log in through a new device, and the other generates your temporary codes through the Steam mobile app on your phone.
The Steam Guard Mobile Authenticator is inherently more secure since a thief would need to have your phone in their physical possession to break into your account.
The Steam Guard mobile authenticator isn’t strictly necessary, but it’s convenient, and it adds an extra level of security to your account. If you own a lot of Steam games or you have a lot of expensive items in games like Dota 2 , then using the Steam Guard mobile authenticator is worth your time.
Using the mobile authenticator also has benefits if you want to enable Steam Family View option.
How do I add a phone number to my Steam account?
Before we can turn on your Steam Guard Mobile Authenticator, we have to add your phone number to your Steam account.
- Open your Steam client. Click on your account namepresent at the top right corner of the screen. You can also open your account from your browser and follow the steps. It is the same thing.
- Select the option of “Account Details” from the list of options in the drop-down menu.
- Navigate to the tab of Account details(present at the left side of the screen). Here under the tab of contact details, press the button which says “Add a phone number”. If you have already added a phone number, it will show “Manage your phone number”.
- Enter your phone number using your country code. You can select your country from the drop down menu and enter the phone number. After you have entered the details, click Next.
- Now Steam will send an SMS to your mobile which will contain a confirmation code. Enter the code on the screen to verify that the phone number is correct and click Next. Some mobile phones may get their code in their spam folder. It may even take one or two minutes depending on your service. If you didn’t get your code for a while now, press the button which says “Send the code again”.
Your phone number is now registered with your account! Now we can proceed with activating the Steam Guard Mobile Authenticator.
Setting up Steam Guard Mobile Authenticator
So, let`s get started
- Download and install the Steam mobile app on your phone.
- Launch the Steam mobile app on your phone.
- Enter your Steam username and password, and click Sign in.
- Look for an email from Steam with a temporary Steam Guard code. When it arrives, return to the Steam app on your phone and enter the code.
- At this point, you should be signed in to the Steam mobile app, but you still have to set up the mobile authenticator feature.
- Tap the ☰ (three horizontal lines) menu button in the upper left corner. Tap Steam Guard in the menu that slides open, and then tap Add Authenticator.
- Enter your phone number, and click Add phone. You’ll then have to wait for an SMS from Steam. When you receive it, enter the code they provide you with into the SMS code field and click Submit. Finally, write down the recovery code and wait for the timer to expire.
- At this point, the Steam Guard mobile authenticator is set up. Whenever Steam prompts you for a Steam Guard code, open the mobile authenticator app to generate a code.
Keep your account safe and good luck!